A complicated simple red dirt girl fluent only in English and Southern, I feel beautiful when wearing dangly earrings and dresses that caper. Sundays are my most creative day, so I try to have at least 7 Sundays each week. Stories help me make sense of things, so whether telling them in cloth, clay, or chirography, stories are my oxygen, characters my blood.
Chalk these other things up to my likes:
- the ocean (except for the salt, sand, and smell)
- telling stories in cloth, in ink, and on stage
- making clay vessels that aren’t good for anything but sittin’ around
- searching for hearts hiding in nature
- playing the piano
- feeding my favorite themes: different ways of knowing and hidden in plain view and body as cache of knowledge
- mountains. oh, how this girl does love a good mountain
- water, especially of the large-enough-to-float-a-big-boat-with-me-in-it or running over the rocks variety
- cosmetic containers with pump tops so i don’t have to scoop then scrape out from under my fingernails
- laughing . . . but not if i’m drinking anything cause liquid squiring through my nose hurts like a sonofoabitch
I have been and – in some cases still am – an elementary school teacher, professional speaker/storyteller, personal historian, bookkeeper for/manager of the family business, Managing Director of The Twilight Theatre, and an end-of-life doula. I’ve facilitated workshops on life story writing, smocking, and bookmaking. It’s not that I can’t hold down a job, I just can’t make up my mind.